Monday, March 15, 2010

Where Does the Tea Party go from Here?

Earlier, I posted an entry regarding the Tea Party and the Constitution. I noticed when I entered my Key Words that I had never used "Tea Party" as a key word before. I made a mental note that the Tea Party will probably be with us for some time, now. I don't think it's going to go away anytime soon.

My question is this: Should the Tea Party become its own separate political party, or remain a loose, grassroots movement?

Pros: Clearly neither party is listening to the smaller government message, although the Republican Party is giving lip service to listening. It would give those with a genuine smaller-government message a voice in the political process and establish the movement more permanently.

Cons: Since most of the "smaller government" crowd tends to vote Republican, this would represent a genuine split of the Republican Party and could end up keeping Dems in power for decades to come. Furthermore, the same kind of corruption and dilution of message that is taking place in the other parties would likely take place in the New Tea Party as well.

My feeling at this point is that the Tea Party better serves America by being a voice on the outside looking in. We are more likely to affect change by saying "We'll vote for you if you tow the line. Otherwise, we'll vote you out."

What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes