Thursday, June 11, 2009

In a Nation as Wealthy as Ours

I was reading through my usual list of blogs yesterday and ran across a comment from another reader. The blog entry was about the coming Obamacare overtake of our Nation's health care system. The comment stated that "in a nation as wealthy as ours, it's a shame we don't provide health care to all of our citizens."

Oh, really?  A nation as wealthy as ours?

I thought we were in a recession. I thought our nation was trillions of dollars in debt. I thought we were on the brink of economic collapse. 

The United States has had one year with a balanced budget since the Nixon administration. Count 'em. One.

I've heard this argument before. I've never seen it challenged. We are no longer a wealthy nation by any standard. We are the world's biggest debtor nation, and it's getting worse.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes